HSV sneak through in Extra Time

Posted on October 25, 2011


AN extra-time winner from Dennis Aogo has sent Hamburg SV through to the third round of the DFB Pokal after a 2-1 win over Eintracht Trier.

Trier, from the fourth-tier of German football, competed well against the German giants for long spells in the match and took a surprise lead on eight minutes through Ahmed Kulabas.

But Hamburg fought back through Marcus Berg in the second half and then in extra time, took the lead when left-back Dennis Aogo smashed in a free-kick from 25 yards.

New Hamburg head coach Thorsten Fink has opted for a 4-4-2 system since his arrival and he stuck by his formation, despite ringing a number of changes to the starting eleven from Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Wolfsburg.

Rothosen got off to the worst possible start and Eintracht Trier took the lead on eight minutes through striker Ahmed Kulabas. A long pass from midfielder Kuduzovic to Kulabas gave the frontman plenty of room to turn and slot home past Drobny.

On 23 minutes, a free-kick from Thomas Drescher caused havoc in the Hamburg defence with an inswinging free-kick from the right-hand side which was eventually cleared by Slobodan Rajkovic.

The Bundesliga side had their first good effort 10 mintues later from a Son-Heung Min free-kick from 25 yards. The South Korean’s right-foot effort went just past the right-hand post.

At the break, Fink made two changes with Per Skjelbred and Jose Guerrero replacing Michael Mancienne and David Jarolim respectively.

The visitors startd the second half on the front-foot with Heiko Westermann heading over from Dennis Aogo’s outswinging corner kick.

But at the other end, Trier could have just easily added a second through Thomas Kraus whose left-foot shot from the edge of the box sailed over the crossbar.

Referee Robert Hartmann waved away claims for a Hamburg penalty on 54 minutes when Marcus Berg was bundled over inside the box but the man in the middle appeared to have made the correct call.

The lower league side created more panic in the Hamburg backline with two great chances just two minutes later. Firstly, the goalscorer Kulabas was inches away from firing at goal if it was not for a good interception from Skjelbred and then an excellent cross from Drescher whisked across the six-yard box with no takers.

Just after the hour mark, Hamburg were back on level terms with Marcus Berg scoring his first goal in the competition this season. The Swedish striker leaped well to head home Per Skjelbred’s cross from the right-hand side of the penalty area.

Neither side could take control of the game and with extra time inevitable, Hamburg almost took a dramatic lead when Diekmeier’s low cross was missed by both Berg and Guerrero a few yards from goal.

On 109 minutes, Trier had the first good effort at goal with Fabian Zittlau forcing a corner after a fine stop from Drobny at his post.

But on 110 minutes, Hamburg went in front through Dennis Aogo who curled home a terrific free-kick from the edge of the penalty area.

HSV were buoyed by the goal and should have secured their place in the next round of the DFB Pokal when Jose Guerrero showed good skill to break in to the box but his finish went high over the bar.

With five minutes remaining, Trier forced another smart stop from Drobny when Denny Herzig’s header from close range was heading for the net.

Jose Guerrero was inches away from adding a third goal after a good run from the corner flag towards goal and then his toe-poke from a tight angle creeped wide.

Hamburg held on in the final minutes and after a nervy encounter, they join Dusseldorf, Borussia Dortmund, Greuther Furth, Hoffenheim, Gladbach, Augsburg and Bochum in the next round of the DFB Pokal.

MOTM: Fahrudin Kuduzovic (Trier)

Trier: Poggenborg; Cozza, Stang, Herzig, Drescher; Karikari; Kraus, Kuduzovic, Abelski, Pagenburg; Kulabas

Hamburg: Drobny; Westermann, Mancienne, Rajkovic, Aogo; Tesche, Jarolim; Diekmeier, Lam; Son, Berg

Posted in: Matches