Hamburg SV 0-1 Gladbach

Posted on September 17, 2011


HAMBURG remain at the bottom of the Bundesliga with just one point after a 1-0 home defeat against Borussia Monchengladbach.

Igor De Camargo scored the only goal of the game on 66 minutes after the Belgian headed home from Juan Arango’s corner kick. The home side battled away with a spirited effort but nothing to show for their hard work.

Michael Oenning will be frustrated at the referee’s decision not to award HSV a penalty on 59 minutes after a handball from Filip Daems which denied Robert Tesche the opening goal. The misery continues for Hamburg after a third straight defeat in the league.

Looking to win their first game of the campaign, the Hamburg coach swapped Tomas Rincon for Jose Guerrero in the only change from last weekend’s derby defeat to Werder Bremen.

David Jarolim moved in to a more attacking position with Per Skjelbred and Marcell Jansen joining him in supporting the lone striker Mladen Petric.

Lucien Favre’s side were returning to the scene of the final day relegation battle last season where they could only leave with a point despite going ahead in the first-half.

They made just the one change also with young midfielder Patrick Herrmann replacing the industrious Mike Hanke who picked up an injury in last weekend’s victory over Kaiserslutern.

Hamburg 0-1 Gladbach: 90 minutes

In a very quiet first 20 minutes, both teams lacked composure in the final third with the closest attempts coming from long-range efforts.

Venezuelan midfielder Tomas Rincon started brightly and after good link-up play with Jansen, he fired a right-foot shot a few yards over the crossbar.

Gladbach are always dangerous on the break and from nothing, a long-ball to Herrmann created a decent opportunity from Marco Reus but his shot from 25 yards out went past Jarolsav Drobny’s left-hand post.

Most of HSV’s best play was coming from the left-hand side with Marcell Jansen and a low cross just after the half hour mark sparked panic in the Gladbach defence with Petric denied a shot at goal due to some good covering from Thorben Marx.

After a relatively quiet first half, Drobny was called in to action after a sloppy backpass from Heiko Westermann which put Hamburg in real trouble but the Czech keeper responded well and cleared with ease.

It was a busier start to the second half for the Hamburg keeper and after some nice link-up play between Reus and De Camargo, the Belgian’s shot was parried wide by Drobny. The Gladbach striker was soon gifted another good chance from the same side of the penalty area but Westermann and Mancienne did well to block the shot.

With Son Heung-Min back in the Hamburg squad after injury, he was introduced just before the hour mark along with Gokhan Tore with Jansen and Skjelbred coming off.

The energetic duo were having an instant impact and a quick break from the home side involving Son and Tore’s cross from the left-hand side of the box created an excellent chance for Robert Tesche at the far-post. The midfielder’s header was blocked on the goal-line by Filip Daems’ left-hand but the penalty claims were waved away by the referee.

But Hamburg went behind just after the hour mark, and again through a set-piece, with Igor De Camargo rising above the Rothosen defence to head past Drobny.

The goal completely changed the momentum of the game with Die Fohlen on the front-foot and they could have added a second in the space of a few minutes with Drobny making a fine stop from Patrick Herrmann.

Oenning made a third and final change of the afternoon with Marcus Berg joining the attack in a 4-2-4 alongside Mladen Petric with David Jarolim being replaced.

Gladbach held on with another resilient defensive display, piling more pressure on Hamburg who are rock bottom of the table with just one point from six matches.

MOTM: Marc Andre Ter Stegen (Gladbach)

Posted in: Matches